How Does the Government Shutdown Impact the IRS?
Please read this important information from the IRS regarding the shutdown.
With the government shutdown, there are still some essential activities that will continue during the shutdown, such as:
• Testing of upcoming Filing Year programs.
• Upcoming Tax Year forms design and printing.
• Electronic returns that are processed systematically up to the point of refunds.
• Processing paper tax returns through batching.
These are some of the activities that will cease until the funds are appropriated for the IRS to continue:
• Guidance on 2017 Tax Act will stop.
• Refunds will not be issued, but the IRS will continue to send acknowledgements.
• Service center processing after the point of batching will not occur.
• Form 1040X Amended Returns will not be processed.
Short-term shutdown (less than 5 days) would have less of an impact on the agency and refund delays.
We will provide updates as we have more information.